Tuesday 8 July 2008

Something with a meaning!

Now I would like to make this completely clear from the start:

THIS IS NOT A PIECE ABOUT CONSUMERISM!!! THIS IS NOT A SLIGHT AGAINST LARGE MULTI-NATIONAL COMPANIES! THIS IS NOT ME MAKING SOME BIG STATEMENT OF HATE AGAINST ANY COMPANY IN PARTICULAR! I HAVE NO ILL FEELING TOWARDS ANY OF THE LOGOS YOU CAN SEE IN THIS PIECE! I DO, DO NOT(!!) WANT THIS TO BE MISUNDERSTOOD AS AN INSULT OR SLIGHT TOWARDS THEM!

Right now thats out of the way, the meaning of what I'm getting at here...

I work a shit job in a place I won't mention (as it could get me into a lot of trouble) and I am often in work on Sunday morning's at 8 am. Sunday at this time is very peculiar, it is insanely quiet, very few cars, very little commotion, it's actually really nice to see the city centre so tranquil.

What does amazed me is, by 9am the nameless place I work is filling up with people wanting breakfast! Now Cardiff's city centre doesn't generally open till 10.30/11am and what amazes me even more is the fact that these people have come into town this early, to get breakfast and then get the jump on the other shoppers!!!

I grew up in a Roman Catholic family (again this is not a slight against religion), we were up and around at this time, but we were going to church. Maybe it has something to do with my background, but I am totally amazed at what was once a predominantly christian country has come so far away from its roots.

This is where this piece comes in, I just kept thinking on Sunday just gone, "Why aren't these people still in bed? Do people go to church anymore?" so I began thinking about how life has changed for me as well.

On a recent night out with friends a group with skatery/alternative people, we were refused entry to a popular chain bar, because of the dress code. No less than a week later did I walk past the same venue to see a girl outside the venue being violently sick, upon leaving the contents of her stomach outside, she walked straight back into the venue!! Sadly I recognised most (if not all) of the clothes she was wearing as being the summer line's from various high street fashion stores (once again, no problem if you want to shop there, go ahead. I have!). This got me think about how we are judged and how society views different social groups.

So all this brought me to this idea, one of worship of high street fashion and it's lifestyle.

Photobucket

This is my first attempt, I like it, but I thought is was a little cultered, so I did this...

Photobucket

I prefer it, but I'm still not happy, so more versions may follow...

So here is the thing, I have nothing against high street fashion retailers, or the parent companies. I have nothing against this way of life. I have no idea why you are judged differently because you spent £20 on an outfit for a night out, rather than the skater bum who spent £70 on his trainers (yes I love my shoes!). But what this has left me feeling is, that the high street has replaced religion in modern society or atleast in a large part of it that I am exposed to.

Returning to this a day later....

Photobucket

I was trying to add a gradient fade to the colours, but I ended up making a mistake, liked the result, and then modified everything to suit it. I do like this one.

Photobucket

This is what I was trying to do, I like it also.

Photobucket

Flipping the fade, also good.

Photobucket

Adding some texture to the fade, also ok. I'm still not sure whether I'm finished with it or not, but I am happier.

Photobucket

Now I did like the Black and Brown version, but I thought it needed some work so I've do this spin on it as well. This time I changed the shape and changed the background texture. I made it the shape of a note, and made the background match. I do like this...

Sorry about the rant.
Michael

Link
Larger Versions

No comments: