Monday 18 July 2011

An interesting website and a little more!

I was asked to create a website for a photographer, after some conversations (involving some comedically bad English and Italian) I had figured out that he was a bit of a technophobe and wanted to be able to update it 'easily' himself if possible.

I love this approach to the web. I love the challenge of making something that is easily updatable without having to understand what HTML is, or how you log in to a profile...you understand. There are countless platforms out there with some really interesting CMS, but I still wanted to try and integrate the platforms he already used to make the whole thing straightforward.

He had a flickr, and after some googling about flickr slideshows, I found a javascript frame that would pool his flickr feed into a 100% background! Great find, after some noodling with the code, there was a fair amount of unnecessary info in there and a menu that didn't suit what I wanted, I had an animating slideshow background pooled by flickr! Which meant he didn't need to touch the site in terms of photos, it did the work for him!

I had to design the logo and think about a menu next. I decided to keep the menu really simple, but decided to incorporate some web fonts to try and add some SEO value to a very minimal site. The logo was a fairly straightforward excercise as he suggested I do something with a view finder.

Photobucket

The menu had to be very non-invasive, so it didn't interfere with the main content. I had been playing with drop down menus on another project and I decided to do the same on this site. After trying it, I realised it didn't work and my brain made the logical conclusion, "No down....UP!" So a flyout menu instead.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

All very straight forward, but very effective.

After another chat, business cards were mentioned, I suggested Moo, as they can print multiple images on the front of their cards, which suits a photographer perfectly! So mini moo business cards!

Photobucket

No sense showing you the front, as they are all different! AND on the site!

Big project, well happy.
Michael

Link
Franco Fontani - Street Photography

No comments: