Tuesday 18 November 2008

The beauty of an idea...

First off I have to say, this is work from my first year, you hear me? No? Right...LISTEN CAREFULLY, THIS IS INCREDIBLY OLD WORK AND NOT THE STANDARD OF MY DESIGN SKILL THESE DAYS! THIS WAS DONE IN 2002, WHEN I WAS IN MY FIRST YEAR OF UNI! PLEASE FORGIVE THE SOMEWHAT CLANDESTINE DESIGN SKILL, I AM TRYING TO MAKE A POINT ABOUT A GOOD IDEA!

Rant over...

It's mad to really look back at your old work and think how bad it looks visually, it has to be that way, otherwise you are just stagnating as a designer, and who wants to do that? NOT ME!!! But I think the magic of looking back over old work is the little bit of satisfaction you can derive from a good idea. If the idea was good, then you know you were onto something.

This brief was to create an advert for Playstation (2?), that would be used in a "lads mag", and somehow, with the combination of stories of deep vein thrombosis from long haul flights, kids getting fatter because they aren't as active as they used to be and Charlton Heston's speech in "Bowling for Columbine" as he proudly held his rifle above his head and prolaimed, "FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS!" and I stitch the two together to get the following...

Photobucket

Photobucket

I can look at this idea now and see all manor of things that I would do to it now to present it better, but that's not the point I'm getting at though, it still remains a good idea, technical execution aside, I think the idea stands up still even now.


Perhaps this is a question of guilting the lily? Or in the case of my first year work, uncovering the lily...I've done it, now you try it!

Peas oot...
Michael

Links
Larger Versions

No comments: