Friday 18 September 2009

Music Ramblings 3

Then and now...

I've been listening to Frank Turner and Chuck Ragan's most recent albums lately, and it dawned on me, I hadn't listened to Million Dead or Hotwatermusic in absolutely ages! But this also got me thinking about the countless artists I love, who have a very different past to their current musical incarnation (yes I have already done this on Rod Stewart, but he went from amazing to awful).

I don't want to bore anyone to death with some sort of history lesson, so I think this will just focus on the "Then and now" approach.

First of Jonah Matranga; I am a bit of an uber-fan so I have to contain myself.

Then: Far



Now: Performing as Onelinedrawing/Jonah Matranga



I've always found the transition from massively influential hardcore band to gentle heartfelt acoustic genius astounding. I have tattoos on my arms that are from a onelinedrawing hoodie.

Eric Scrhody; Once again bit of a fanboy, I have a triple platinum award plaque from his first solo album post House of Pain on my wall.

Then: The House of Pain. (Yes this is the remix, I just prefer it)



Now: Everlast.



So he has evolved from HipHop to acoustic/country with some awesome beats. Great example of an artist growing older with style.

Chuck Ragan; bit of a fan again, don't want to ramble.

Then: HotWaterMusic.



Now: Just playing as Chuck Ragan.



Again a fairly natural transition, there are moments in his solo stuff you can hear HotWaterMusic songs trying to escape. Probably the best punk to country/acoustic transition in my humble opinion.

So far I have hit on heavier to lighter, so now for something a little bit more random. Gabe Saporta...

Then: Midtown.



Now : Cobra Starship.



This one, makes me sad, confused and happy at the same time. I miss Midtown soooo much, their records we the soundtrack to many summers, but I can't shake how much I love this slab of disco pop rock!

I've hit on a few that I really love, but this doesn't mean for one second there aren't countless other examples of people doing one amazing thing and evolving to do something even better. Never ending list starts here (I'm not saying either is better, I'm just stating facts):

Dave Grohl: Nirvana - Foo Fighters
Frank Turner: Million Dead - Solo
Phil Anselmo: Pantera - Down, Superjoint Ritual...
Chris Cornell: Sound Garden - Audioslave
Mike Patton: Faith No More - Fantomas, Mr Bungle, Peeping Tom...
Vinnie Caruana: The Moivelife - I am the Avalanche
Tom DeLonge: Blink 182 - Angels & Airwaves, BoxCarRacer
Kimya Dawson: The Moldy Peaches - Solo
Josh Homme: Kyuss - Queens of the Stone Age

This is a never ending list, and to me it boils down to accepting and hoping that musicians you love will continue to produce/write great songs not matter what form they choose to do it. It is easy to say, "It's not as good as...", but those days are gone, we can accept that, move on and enjoy what they are doing now or, shut up.

Bedtime.
Michael

No comments: